Sunday, April 3, 2011

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Heartbeat, 22 weeks by Daddy, Tommy & Mommy

At nearly 24 weeks, I listen back to our 22 week prenatal visit and marvel at the fact that the pants I could wear then, I already cannot wear now. My feet are beginning to swell and my belly button is quickly disappearing. Still, even with the ongoing spatial expansion I feel prettier than I think I ever have before.

I am marveling, too, at the connection I feel with this little unseen wonder moving inside my belly all day long. His movement has definite patterns now, and I can count on his stretches and strides after just about every meal. When I can't get back to sleep after my daily 3-4am nature call, I lay on my left side and feel him rolling and tucking, letting me know I'm not alone in my restlessness. My palm at my navel, I wait for him to give me a pop, our intrauterine goodnight kiss, before I settle back into my pillow fort for slumber.

We have every heartbeat recorded since our 6 week prenatal appointment. The cadence of each is consistent, and strong. Like a little engine, a fast approaching choo choo train, he chug chug chugs... steady, reassuring.

I can't wait to feel his tiny heartbeat under the tips of my fingers... against my own, beating full rushes of love in my chest. Whoosh whoosh whoosh, his will say... boom boom boom mine will resound.


No comments:

Post a Comment